DIMPLE JOSEPH (817) 821-7752 firstname.lastname@example.org
Customer-centric technology leader with over 17 years experience building, scaling, and managing large scale enterprise and e-commerce products. Experienced in scaling engineering, hiring, and managing major rewrites of complex applications.Exemplary track record of high-velocity, needle-moving software delivery in fluid and fast-paced environments. Passionate about building and guiding diverse teams to deliver top performance while maintaining the highest emphasis on quality.An entrepreneur employee who works passionately to make your business succeed
- Lead migration of Workday UX monolithic front end app into Single Codeline , several independent micro-services that are lighter weight and more easy to develop and release
- Improved Workday UX Services development process to cut development to deployment time by 75%
- Converted Cafepress website to responsive design, leading to +35% mobile conversion.
- Lead internationalization and localization efforts for Cafepress, extending the core platform into global markets in several currencies and languages which immediately added +20% incremental revenue.
- Co-authored a high-performance e-commerce search engine that allowed Cafepress to scale from 10M to 1B products while providing fast, highly relevant, dynamically ranked results.
- Drove thousands of continuous improvements to a retail platform grossing over $1B.
- Converted Cafepress website to social site where you upload content with ease and follow designers, leading to +30% increase in content.
Workday (Pleasanton, CA) 2015 – present
Software Engineering Manager
Workday is a cloud-based software vendor that specializes in human capital management and financial management applications.Workday is a pioneer in Software as a service business applications and known for its ease of use and quick implementation, compared with on-premises HCM and finance applications.
Headed UX Web Infrastructure and core widgets team to improve efficiency of development,productivity and performance of Workday UI Client.
- Lead migration of UX Web monolithic front end app into Single Codeline , several independent micro-services that are lighter weight and more easy to develop and release
- Established world-class tooling and process for Workday UX Services to support continuous delivery/deployment in a microservices high scale cloud environment.
- Continuous improvement of development process to cut development to deployment time by 75% by measuring against KPI’s including but not limited to performance,deployment automation and monitoring
- Collaborated with other senior engineering and operations, infrastructure, and product team leaders to ensure new standards are rapidly adopted including but not limited to
- Build pipelines and continuous delivery patterns
- Sofware test and release verification tools & process
- Change management
- In the short time at WD headed and smoothly launched projects – UI Client on Baremetal , UI Client on WPC , Scylla-ui ,UI Client FSS on AWS,Websockets for UI,Independent UI Client,UI logging microservice ,Unified UI Authentication
- Hired and developed a lean team of full stack engineers with no QA.
- Developed, collected, and evaluated KPI’s for development and operational efficiency, performance, reliability, supportability, recoverability, team capacity and team performance.
Cafepress.com (San Mateo, CA) 2006 – 2015
Director of Engineering
Cafepress is a leading e-commerce platform provider enabling customers worldwide to create, buy and sell a wide variety of customized and personalized products. As Director of Engineering, I built and managed lean teams of 5-25 engineers across many products split between on and off shore, QA and build/deploy responsible for growing Cafepress.com, a top e-commerce destination with over 50M page views/day. I achieved high feature velocity using Agile project management and nimble deployments to both AWS and in-house data centers, and I introduced several positive improvements to hiring and workflow processes. I was responsible for budgeting, planning, recruiting, and implementing all operating initiatives across the retail engineering organization. As Software Engineering Manager, I built and managed onsite and remote teams to deliver both continuous improvements and large scale projects addressing the Retail customer experience. In addition to coaching junior developers, leading code and architecture reviews, and contributing key aspects to nearly every major project, I also worked closely with business owners to define specs, prioritize stories, and schedule releases. As Engineering Lead, I was the primary full stack developer on projects such as Gift Certificates, new payment methods in checkout, traffic attribution tracking, and several retail redesigns. I also co-authored the in-house search engine that has served as the core of Cafepress’s e-commerce engine, grossing over $1B while scaling to hundreds of requests/second on a catalog of nearly a billion products.I also lead development of next generation search engine using elastic search in 2014 to replace the first search service.
Earlier Experience 2000 – 2006
After earning my Masters in CSE with a 4.0 GPA, I joined Objectspace Inc as an Associate Engineer to build internal tools using Swing, JDBC and Java Applets. Next, I joined I2, the world’s premier supply chain management company, as an Advanced Member of Technical Staff. At I2, I implemented the internationalization and localization of the Large Scale Planner (LSP), an extremely scalable planning tool that is used for forecasting, inventory planning and supply-demand planning across a connected model, in a time-phased manner. I then worked as a Senior developer at Corvero Networks, a telecommunications company whose platform integrates application data with a wide variety of disparate applications and presentation devices like PCs, IP phones, wireless phones, and PDAs. Finally, I took a role as Senior Web Developer at Protrade Sports Inc, a sports entertainment company that uses live market buy/sell activity to establish a predictive market of athletes.
Business Vision, Leadership, Team Building, E-Commerce, Agile Project Management
Architecture OOP, AOP, SOA, Saas, Distributed Systems, Concurrency, ActiveMQ,User Interface
Internationalization and localization
Persistence SqlServer, MySQL, MongoDB, Memcached
Frameworks Ruby on Rails, J2EE, MVC.NET, NetBeans, Spring, Angular, Knockout.js
App Servers IIS, Tomcat, Jetty
TDD Cucumber, RSpec, JUnit, NUnit, Continuous integration
Search ElasticSearch, Lucene, Hadoop
DevOps AWS, EC2, virtualization, Maven Spring Boot Kafka Zookeeper
Client SideHTML5, CSS3, PhoneGap, Responsive design
MS in Computer Science Engineering, The UTA, TX GPA: 4.0 May 2000
B Tech in Chemical Engineering, The University of Kerala, India GPA: 3.8 August 1996
Honors and Activities
Sun Java 1.4 Certified Programmer
Member of Tau Beta Pi, Honor Society for Engineers
Member of Phi Beta Delta, Honor Society for International Scholars.
Sample of work contributed at Cafepress
Open source Contributions
What are my 3 most favorite programming books?
Clean Code by Robert C. Martin,Design Patterns by the Gang of Four,The Mythical Man-Month
Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code,
Code Complete by Steve McConnell,Pragmatic Programmer;
What is my 3 most favorite management related books?
Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead
The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done